Favorite apps and services
- Privacy conscious, end-to-end encrypted (E2EE).
- Decentralized, no reliance on cloud providers like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Spotify, Netflix Youtube, etc.
- Self-hosted and self-reliant.
- Simple files preferred over running services.
- Make sure no sites / services are US based.
- Download all music / movies locally, using torrents, behind a VPN. (Don’t use Tor for torrenting)
- Use MPV or VLC, open source media players to play media.
- Use Jellyfin or SFTP for streaming to other devices.
- Use Navidrome for a self-hosted music server, and DSub for an android client.
- Instead of centralized, hosted youtube alternatives with upload limits, use torrents, and find a platform to post and comment on the magnet links.
Documents and Coding
Tasks / Todos
- Use a todo.txt file for a personal task list, synced with syncthing.
- For shared task lists, use Hedgedoc.
- Use Hedgedoc, a live / collaborative markdown editor.
- Use Firefox or Tor Browser, with the addons:
- Startpage, Searx (onion service), as a search engine
- If using Tor, use onion services if possible.
- Use KeePassXC for PC, KeePassDX for android.
- Install the Firefox KeePassXC plugin.
- Use a long master pass phrase, with at least 10 words.
- Sync your password file everywhere you need using Syncthing.
- Bitwarden if you want to host a server.
- Use a secure keyboard on android if you don’t want your passwords stolen by google.
- OpenBoard, or AnySoftKey work.
Chat / Communication
- Use Matrix / Element, turn on e2ee in rooms.
- Use Thunderbird for email, e2ee with pgp if possible.
- Use Linux. I like Arch Linux.